Money Saving Conservation Tips
Save 10-25% on Your Energy Bill
- Turn off lights and appliances when not in use. Don’t forget your computer.
- In the cold months, set the thermostat to 68° when home, and then back to 55-68° when unoccupied.
- In the winter, open window coverings on the sunny side of your home to take advantage of free heat from the sun. Close the coverings on cloudy days or right after the sun sets.
- In warm months, set the thermostat to 78-80° when home and 5-10° warmer at night or when you’re not home.
- In the cooling season, close blinds and drapes during the day to keep heat out.
- Also, use your dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, and cook as late in the evening as possible.
- Barbeque outdoors when practical. Reducing the heat coming into your home from any source, such as cooking, will reduce the load on your air conditioning.
- Set your water heater to 120°.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils, underneath and in the back. They need air space to work.
- Close foundation vents in the winter months.
Save another 10-25% on Your Energy Bill
- Use compact fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent ones. This will typically save $1 per bulb changed out for bulbs running 4-6 hours per day.
- Caulk windows and caulk and weather-strip doors.
- Install a hot water heater blanket.
- Install hot water pipe insulation.
- Install electrical outlet and switch plate insulation.
- Clean furnace system and check ducts for leaks.
- Plant trees and shrubs on the south and west side of your residence.
- Fix leaky faucets and install low-flow showerheads.
- Use room fans to keep the air moving and reduce the feeling of heat in your home.
- Replace furnace and air conditioner filters monthly.
- Replace normal thermostats with programmable thermostats.
Energy Assistance Programs
There are many assistance programs available to help low-income families and individuals pay an energy bill or to weatherize their home. Below, you will find information detailing several different resources for assistance. In California there are the following assistance programs: